1) Fill a flowerpot within two inches to the top with potting soil from an unopened bag.
2) Take a lemon and cut in half with a sharp knife. Remove the mature seed – you can tell if a seed is mature because it will be plump.
3) Rinse your lemon seeds in water ensuring that you remove all the sugarcoating. The sugar will encourage fungi to grow and kill your lemon plants.
4) Plant your lemon seed about a half an inch deep in the center of your flowerpot. You need to do this immediately as dried lemon seeds will not germinate.
5) Moisten your potting soil with water making sure not to over water it.
6) Cover your flowerpot with plastic wrap, and place it in a warm location such as the top of the refrigerator until you notice your seeds have germinated.
7) Move your flowerpot to a bright lit area such as a window and enjoy.
Start seeds indoors for cool-season vegetables so they’ll be ready to transplant in the garden early in the season. Broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage seeds should be started five to seven weeks before transplanting.
Have an upset stomach? Follow the advice of an old Hungarian grandmother. Alternate sipping chamomile and peppermint tea every hour until you feel better. The active ingredient in chamomile relaxes stomach muscles and may relieve cramping, intestinal spasms, and pain, while the menthol in peppermint has pain-killing properties and promotes relaxation.
A tiger’s stripes are like fingerprints—no two animals have the same pattern.
Now is the time to sketch garden plans on paper, including what to grow, spacing, arrangement and number of plants needed.
Vitamin D is not really a vitamin at all, it’s a hormone. It’s made in our skin and from there it gets activated through the body. The primary way to intake Vitamin D is exposure to sunlight.
In 1913, Gideon Sundback, a Swedish engineer working in the United States, invented the “Hookless Number Two”, which is known today as a zipper.
Trypanophobia—the fear of needles.
During the average lifetime, the heart will pump nearly 1.5 million barrels of blood—enough to fill 200 train tank cars.
No network footage exists of Super Bowl I. According to rumors a soap opera was taped over it.
Almond butter contains about 83 percent more fiber than peanut butter and is higher in Vitamin E, calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium.
Current and former staff members have contributed to our newsletter over the years. Now the articles are available to view here on our blog