Remove the stinger as quickly as you can. A bee’s stinger works like an automatic pump; the longer it’s in, the more you’ll hurt. Just pull it out or scrape it out with a fingernail.
Clean the wound with warm soapy water to avoid infection and dab dry. Apply ice—wrapped in a clean cloth—for 20 minutes, as often as every two hours, for the day or two the irritation will last. This helps relieve the pain and minimize swelling.
If the affected area becomes seriously swollen or itchy, take an over-the-counter antihistamine and elevate the site, if possible. As long as the discomfort is in the vicinity of the sting site (a hand that swells in response to a sting on the finger, for example), the reaction is normal and will subside
Go straight to the emergency room if you experience any symptoms that occur away from where the bee left its mark, including hives, wheezing, or swelling in the mouth, face, or throat. This means you are allergic to the potentially life-threatening venom and need a dose of epinephrine. Your doctor will probably prescribe small doses of the drug for you to keep on hand in case you're ever stung again.
Current and former staff members have contributed to our newsletter over the years. Now the articles are available to view here on our blog